Pages

Thursday 26 November 2015

Zucchini Lasagna

Today I bring a dish my little  sister shared with me. I have altered it a bit from her version to suit our family. This recipe makes a double batch, so you can freeze half for another night. As you know my oven is broken so I cooked this slowly in my electric fry pan, pretty good for a backup.

Zucchini Lasagna

Ingredients

  • 3 brown onions, diced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced (from my garden)
  • 1kg beef mince
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 4 - 5 tins diced tomato ( I used my own homemade diced tomato)
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • fresh or dried herbs like parsley, oregano, rosemary and basil (from my garden)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tbls butter
  • 1 tbls plain wholemeal flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • Dried or fresh lasagna sheets
  • 3 large zucchinis, thinly sliced length ways (from my garden)
  • 2 cups grated cheese

Directions

First make a basic tomato/mince sauce. Saute the onion and garlic and herbs until soft. Add the mince and brown off. Pour in red wine and allow it to reduce a little. Add diced tomato, tomato paste and salt and pepper for seasoning, bring to the boil and then reduce heat to very low and simmer until the sauce has reduced right down and is thick. Normally at least an hour.


I then combine ricotta cheese and sour cream and set aside. I also make a white sauce. Melt butter and stir in flour. When combined add milk slowly and whisk until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. You can add cheese if you like, but it is not necessary.


Once sauces are ready its time to assemble. First start with a thin layer of meat sauce and top with lasagna sheets, then another meat sauce layer, followed by zucchini layer then ricotta sauce, lasagna sheets, meat sauce layer, zucchini layer then white sauce and finished with grated cheese scattered over the top.




Pop into a preheated 200 C oven and bake for a good hour or so and you can easily slice a knife in. Serve hot with a nice salad.








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...