Today's little zucchini delight is a treat for anytime of the day or night. We sneak a slice with a little (ok a lot) of cream and a cuppa tea after the kids have gone to bed. Great for a lunch box snack with a smear of butter too for the kids. None of this beauty is ever wasted!
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked (from Trixie)
- 3 cups coarsely grated green zucchini (from my garden)
- 2 1/2 cups plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup pepita seeds (or any other nut or seed)
- 1 cup whole dried pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a loaf or cake tin.
Use an electric beater to beat together the honey, oil and egg in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the zucchini, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, pepitas, dates, cinnamon and nutmeg, and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake in oven for 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside in the pan for 30 minutes to cool. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
*As my oven is not working at the moment, I baked mine in the bread machine this time round. After all the ingredients were combined I poured into my bread/cake dish and baked for the same time.