Pages

Monday 20 March 2017

Bruised and Battered!

We have taken a bit of a beating here lately. After my last blog we have had a good spell of wild winds and rain. Lots of rain. Measuring from my rain gauge we have had over 200ml. With that has come some seriously muddy play for the kids and mess for me! Plus the garden has had most of its leaves either blown off, burnt by the wind or have turned into a soggy mess. Its quite sad to see all the hard work you put in only to see mother nature destroy it. I can imagine how the farmers out there who rely on the production of food suffer from extreme weather conditions. I think I almost need to just pull out most of it and start again. Thankfully its a change in season and most of it will kind of finish up soon anyway. It is still disheartening though. I also planted a heap of winter seeds and have a few nice seedlings coming along to plant out when the weather fairs up a bit. Yesterday I picked my first cluster of bananas and they are ripening very quickly, so we are eating bananas for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I may be a bit biased, but they are the best bananas I have ever tasted!!!

I have not been doing much else otherwise or in the kitchen apart from the usual day to day cooking as I am a little obsessed with watching Outlander - apdapted from the series of books by Diana Gabaldon (/http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/) .... I also think I might end up reading the books as soon as I finish watching the second season as the next season doesn't come out until September and I don't think I can wait that long to find out all that happens. Have you seen or read this series? I sometimes think I was meant to live in another era, all that is past fascinates me. I love the life of the land, the clothes, the talk and the social gatherings. A dreamer perhaps.

And now I must attend to all the weeds and soggy plants I have pulled out on my morning inspection amongst the break in the rain and put them in the compost or green bin. Have you too been affected by some crazy weather of late? Talk soon, C xx


Banana tree blown over in the wind.

Glorious bananas picked from above tree after it blew over.

Chilli plants stripped of their leaves.

Choko and horseradish hanging onto life.

One of many puddles around the home.

Soggy Zucchini plants.

Okra, I will leave these surviving fruit on to save the seeds and try again next year.

Baby beans on the way out.

5 comments:

  1. we're having a bit of wild weather here now due to cyclone Debbie coming to ground Tuesday. the rain has been heavy since last night & continuous since late Tuesday too.
    hope you're wild weather has settled down now.
    your garden still looks great btw
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you time Selina, so good to see you back on the blogging front too. Life certainly keeps us occupied!

      Delete
  2. My goodness, you certainly did cop some destructive weather, sometimes if the roots are still intact damaged plants can come back and put on quite good new growth, fingers crossed .
    The gentle temperature at the moment will probably help you get some new plants established and keep the garden thriving for Winter produce.
    Home grown and ripened bananas are awesome, I have to watch mine as the possums and fruit bats find them tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.....that all looks a bit sad and damaged .
    My normal email shut down for over a month ....thanks Optus ! So have slowly been checking in on everyone.
    By now your plants will have recovered and probably be powering along , it's amazing how they go into overdrive when they get some good rain instead of tap watering.
    I have joined a knit along of a shawl with some Canadian girls, we all cast on the same day and have 2 months to finish,small shawl/scarf, 1 ball sock yarn, good fun having something creative to look forward to everyday.
    What are you working on at the moment ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, Thanks for your comments. tad late in my reply sorry, I thought I had replied, still trying to figure out some new changes with my comments format. I have 'put off' knitting for now and a lot of other things that I cant wait to get back into as the kids like to destroy all my attempts and I take so long to achieve anything I think my time is better spend elsewhere at the moment with little ones. Still in the garden though and I do love to Run and competes, so that along with chasing after my wee ones takes up plenty of time x

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...